Mixcloud

Monday 4 May 2020

Impact Music #9: Shhh

Shhh by Chumbawamba

I was fairly apolitical at university, but then I started paying attention to the world around me. 

Chumbawamba took things to extremes with their occasionally clumsy anarchistic approach to the world, but they at least pushed me in the right direction and taught me how to get angry with society's injustices. This album was as all about censorship, after their intended album Jesus H Christ was pulled from release due to sample clearance issues. Influenced by The Pet Shop Boys as much as by Crass, they wrapped the politics in some great pop tunes and threw a load of samples into the mix. Their albums always came with essential and educational sleeve notes and the tour on the back of this album produced one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment