Mixcloud

Sunday 10 May 2020

Impact Music #14: Purple Rain

Purple Rain by Prince and the Revolution

I had some money saved to buy an album and  fancied getting something a bit different, but I was still in two minds about buying this album. I was so far removed from anything else iny collection and although I quite liked what I'd heard of Prince, would I like a whole album that wasn't synthpop or new wave played by white Brits? I was worried I might enjoy it for a few plays and then go back to my old records. A leap into the unknown.

Then I got it home and gave it a listen and was blown away. It rocked. it had ballads. It had soul and funk and genres I never knew existed. It even had a hint of synthpop and new wave and lyrics like I'd never heard before, which meant I'd not be playing it with my mum in the room.

The album felt daring and edgy and not what I should be listening to at all. It was truly remarkable and kicked down the door for me to fearlessly buy and listen to so many different types of music over the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment