Mixcloud

Sunday 3 May 2020

Impact Music #8: Rage In Eden

Rage in Eden by Ultravox.

Not only was this my main introduction to Ultravox, but it also introduced me to the sleeve designs of Peter Saville and the production of Conny Plank.

I got it as part of an introductory offer to an album club that resulted in me (or often my mum bailing me out) having to then buy at least one overly priced album a month for a year. Not the best financial decision I've made but I'd gladly pay all that money to hear this album again for the first time.

It was pop music apparently, but it wasn't very poppy - it seemed quite sophisticated, being recorded in Köln (not Cologne) and with its long songs, pretentious lyrics, biblical references and stunning sleeve design. A few years later i started getting into Krautrock because of albums like this - listen the motorik beat that drives the songs and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment