Mixcloud

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Impact Music #16: Queen Of Denmark

Queen of Denmark by John Grant

My next door neighbour lent this album to me shortly after it came out. He decided that I MUST hear it. 

Queen of Denmark could easily be dismissed as an Elton John pastiche until you notice the voice - the aural equivalent of caramel, albeit a bitter caramel that had had its heart broken too many times. Then there was the words, which are fantastic. He didn't hold anything back and displayed a level of honesty that is lacking in most songs - the most angry, sad, resentful and yet funny and hopelessly romantic lyrics I've heard.

I listened to this earlier today whilst trying to read. I had to put the book down and give the album my full attention, realiaing that I can never do anything but listen to this album when I play it. His voice and words are too much to be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment