Mixcloud

Tuesday 5 May 2020

Impact Music #10: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band


Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

"But *insert other Beatles album*is much better".

An obvious record, but it's obvious for a reason. I could have easily chosen a so called "cooler" Beatles album, but why pretend?  This is the one that had the biggest impact on me.

I started listening to this about a year before the 20th anniversary in 1987. The BBC devoted a lot of airtime to the album for it's anniversary - the backstory, how it was recorded and the impact that it had on music and culture. Very soon I knew the album inside out and I could pinpoint every instrument, lyric, effect, tape loop and squeaking chair. I was amazed that pop music could be so experimental.

Most surprising was to discover that the tape I had was clearly recorded on a tape deck that was slightly slower than mine, so when I heard radio one playing the album I realised that I had been listening to a sped up version of the album for the last couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment