Mixcloud

Tuesday 28 April 2020

Impact Music #3: White Light / White Heat


White Light / White Heat by the Velvet Underground.

Probably now my least favourite of the 4 proper VU albums, but still a great album and the first one I heard by them, which I played to death.

I bought this when I was in the sixth form based on me knowing cover versions of some of the songs by Lou Reed,  Cabaret Voltaire  and New Order/Joy Division. But it was The Gift that really blew me away - John Cale's macabre obsessive love story read in one speaker whilst the band jammed in the other.

The production on the album was terrible, everything sounded distorted and badly mixed but it was amazing - how can music that sounds so bad sound so good?

My first play if the album was in front of some friends who were round at my house. It was NOT party music and it didn't go down too well. Except for one friend, who was at least amused by how unpopular it was with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment