Mixcloud

Saturday 13 April 2019

Heaven 17 - Bigger Than America RSD 2019


I must confess that, despite calling myself a fan, I'd never listened to this album before. After the brilliance of the first three albums, there was a noticeable drop in quality with subsequent releases - sure, 'Pleasure One' and 'Teddy Bear, Duke and Psycho' had their moments, but I found them more miss than hit.

But then sometimes you just can't resist the lure of translucent orange vinyl and so this debut vinyl pressing ended up in my bag as a last minute decision on record store day. It doesn't disappoint. Expecting another Temptation, Fascist Groove Thang or Let Me Go is a bit much (for ANY artist), but there's enough quality over these 12 tracks to draw me in - the band ditching their quest for a more "authentic' soulful sound over the previous two albums and instead offering up a more polished take on the electronic Penthouse side of Penthouse and Pavement.


No comments:

Post a Comment