Mixcloud

Monday 6 April 2015

Super_Collider - Head On

I first encountered Super_Collider on some late night TV programme in 1999 that showed the video for It Won't Be Long. I was immediately drawn in. I couldn't quite place my finger on what it was about the music, but I knew I had to hear more.

When I finally got round to buying the album, I listened to it in a state of confusion, not knowing quite what to make of the warped sounds. It sounded as though someone had taken the semi-improvised vocal tracks of some long lost soul singer and put it through a blender with an unhealthy dose of dirty funk and Autechre-esque dischordant rhythms.

I'm giving it another listen now and still can't quite get my head round it, but it is thoroughly absorbing.

I raise my glass to Christian Vogel and Jamie Lidell for making something so brave and utterly unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment