Mixcloud

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Julian Cope's Copendium

Well this is a surprise. Not that Mr Cope has another book out, but that the "standard" edition of this book is out now rather than the scheduled release date of November. A deluxe signed version containing 3 CDs was released earlier this year and, costing over £100, I decided to wait for this more affordable version, which still feels pretty deluxe to me - in its hardback embossed, fake snakeskin cover.

So, after two autobiographies, two 'samplers' (covering rocks Kraut and Jap) and two books on the megaliths of Britain and Europe, comes Copendium. Subtitled "An Expedition into the Rock'n'Roll Underworld" this is, as with his other books and at almost 700 pages, what the terms 'weighty' and 'tome' were designed for.

I've not read the book yet (I only got it today), but I have read some of the chapters that appear in the book, as it has all appeared at some time on the Head Heritage website (so, if you're not interested in owning a book, it's all there for you to read for free). These aren't necessarily album reviews, they're more like essays on different artists using an album (or albums) as the central theme of the writing.

At a glance it's clear that this book - covering music from the outer reaches of rock over the last 60 years - is written with the same sense of drive and passion that has made his previous books such compelling reading, which means it's going to cost me a fortune; Krautrocksampler acted as a buyers guide during the mid-90s, Japrocksampler introduced me to the delights of the Flower Travellin' Band and Speed, Glue and Shinki. No doubt I will soon be tracking down albums by (*turns to random pages in the book*) Battiato, Factrix, Simply Saucer and Vibracathedral Orchestra.

Not that it's a complete exercise in obscurism though, so don't be frightened off - there's still space to write about James Brown, Comets On Fire, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and Van Halen.

The comments by David Peace on the back state that this book "is unlike anything you have read before", which means that if you are interested in books or exploring music then this is essential reading. I'll let you know how I get on...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for alerting me to the fact that Cope wrote something on Van Halen. Just looked it up on Head Heritage and it's one of the best things I've ever read! He totally gets it and I appreciate that as a lifelong VH fan.

    I know what you mean about his books costing you a fortune. I remember searching all that stuff out from Krautrocksampler when it first came out and none of those records had been re-released at that point.

    I just wrote a piece on the origins of The Teardrop Explodes band name if you fancy checking it out - http://thequietus.com/articles/09596-the-teardrop-explodes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aug

    Thanks for the comments.

    Great article on the Teardrop Explodes' name - someone had posted a link to the article on the Head Heritage forum.

    ReplyDelete